The Federal Communications Commission head Ajit Pai promised to launch an investigation against T-Mobile after millions nationwide were affected by an outage that impacted 911 services.
“The T-Mobile network outage is unacceptable. The @FCC is launching an investigation. We’re demanding answers—and so are American consumers,” Pai tweeted after the hours-long outage Monday.
The company blamed an internet-traffic issue that caused problems with its network for the outage.
T-Mobile, one of the country’s three largest cellphone service providers, said it had a “voice and text wireless issue” that began around noon ET Monday. The company said at 1 a.m. Tuesday that all problems had been resolved.
“Our engineers worked through the night to understand the root cause of yesterday’s issues, address it and prevent it from happening again. The trigger event is known to be a leased fiber circuit failure from a third party provider in the Southeast,” the T-Mobile statement read.
Seminole County authorities and the city of Kissimmee said the outage impacted their 911 systems. The Seminole Sheriff’s Office urged callers to use their non-emergency line as a backup until the issue was resolved.
Orange County Sheriff’s officials said its 911 systems were not been affected and told residents in their area to continue to use the 911 line if necessary.