An Evening of Sax Therapy on June 15
University Area CDC (Community Development Corporation) will present the fun and relaxing Uptown Music Festival, featuring nationally known jazz artists, on Saturday, June 15, from 4 to 10 p.m. at the University Area Park at 14013 N. 22nd St.
The Uptown Music Festival was created to bring the Uptown District of Tampa together to highlight the rich culture of the area through music. This one-day event will draw Tampa residents and surrounding cities to the Uptown District for a day of music and art to benefit the programs and services of University Area CDC.
Headlining jazz artists featured will include:
- B.K. Jackson – Internationally recognized saxophonist, Tampa native, and former member of Prince’s New Power Generation (NPG) Hornz. Jackson has recently performed with Usher and recorded with Bruno Mars and is currently touring as part of Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue Band.
- Adrian Crutchfield – Neo-soul international saxophonist and former member of Prince’s New Power Generation (NPG) Hornz. Crutchfield has also toured with Prince, Lionel Richie, Bette Midler and Cee Lo Green.
- Jackiem Joyner– International saxophonist, composer, producer and recent author of a Sci-Fi novel. In addition to his contemporary jazz solo career, Joyner has toured with such notable artists as Keiko Matsui and Marcus Johnson, and has also performed as a member of The Sax Pack.
- Bryan Thompson – A “Rising Star” in the contemporary jazz industry, Thompson is a 21-year-old saxophone and piano prodigy. Thompson has had the opportunity to share the stage with such contemporary jazz icons as Brian Culbertson, Najee, Kirk Whalum and Lalah Hathaway.
- Tim George – One of the most sought after bass players in the contemporary jazz industry, George will serve as music director. He has performed alongside some of the biggest names in contemporary jazz, including Richard Elliott, Rick Braun, Warren Hill and The Sax Pack.
In addition to music, the Uptown Music Festival will feature an art gallery, and vendors offering a variety of quality merchandise. A family-friendly Kids Zone space on the lawn will be the picture-perfect place to lay out a blanket and let the children run and play. Kids Zone will also feature Prodigy Moves, arts and crafts, and live performance activities. Children 12 and under admitted free (general admission) with a paid adult admission.
The Uptown Music Festival is a community focused fundraiser benefiting University Area CDC. This inaugural festival was created to encourage visitation to the University Area and to be a conduit for cobranding the University Area and the Uptown District, while simultaneously raising much needed support for the University Area CDC.
Reserved seating is $40 in advance and $50 day of show; general admission tickets are $15 in advance and $20 day of show. General Admission is lawn seating, so event-goers are encouraged to bring outdoor chairs and blankets for seating. Tickets are on sale now at: http://www.uacdc.org/