The public is invited to experience the joy of youth in arts, as University Area CDC (Community Development Corporation) presents Prodigy® Showcases throughout the months of February and March.
Communities spreading across five Florida counties are coming together for vibrant, exciting and free-of-charge presentations of music, dance, spoken word, theater and fine arts exhibits created by students of the Prodigy® Cultural Arts Program. This year’s theme is “This is How We Do…”
Youth in grades first through 12th from the University Area CDC’s Prodigy® Cultural Arts Programs in Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Polk and Orange counties are performing dance, music and spoken word presentations in these free events. Many of the students will be performing for the first time. Additionally, visual art by Prodigy® students will be on display.
“Prodigy® Showcase brings out the best of youth cultural arts across west central Florida. Parents and the general community are in for a treat as we celebrate their talents,” said Mike Trepper, Prodigy® director.
A full schedule is online at www.uacdc.org/prodigy. Performance dates include:
- Saturday, Feb. 9, 4 to 6 p.m. at Girls, Inc. (Polk County) – 1220 W. Highland, Lakeland
- Wednesday, Feb. 20, 7 to 9 p.m. at Orlando Neighborhood Improvement Corporation, (Orange County) – Dr. Dr. Philips Center for the Performing Arts, 445 S. Magnolia, Orlando
- Thursday, Feb. 28, 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Arts Ensemble Education Foundation (Polk County), 848 Snively Ave., Winter Haven
- Thursday, Feb. 28, 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Boys and Girls Club (Pasco County) at 38724 Mudcat Grant Blvd, Dade City
- Thursday, March 7, 5 to 8 p.m. at Florida Institute for Community Studies (Hillsborough County) at 7606 Paula Dr. #120, Tampa
- Friday, March 20, 6 to 8 p.m., YMCA of Greater St. Petersburg, (Pinellas County), 2100 26th Ave. South, St. Petersburg
- Thursday, March 21, 6 to 7:30 p.m., Wilbert Davis Boys and Girls Club (Hillsborough County) at 3515 Sarah St. Tampa
- Friday, March 22, 6 to 8 p.m. at YMCA Speer Academy (Pinellas County), 2100 26th Ave. S., St. Petersburg
- Friday, March 29, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., at Tampa Housing Authority (Hillsborough County), 110 E. Kirby St., Tampa
The Prodigy® Cultural Arts Program uses an innovative approach to empower, educate and enable at-risk youth, providing a doorway to a better world. Youth ages five to 18 years of age experience performing and visual arts, taught as a tool for self-expression, to learn communication, exploration, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills.
Established in 2000, Prodigy® is achieving its mission of transforming young lives and now reaches across ten counties.
Serving the community for over 20 years, University Area CDC offers support for thousands of Tampa residents through youth programs, adult education and resource assistance. Its primary mission is the redevelopment and sustainability of the at-risk areas surrounding University of South Florida’s Tampa campus. Funds provided through grants, private contributions and public appropriations help University Area residents participate in most programs free of charge. For more information about Prodigy® or University Area CDC, visit www.uacdc.org or call 813.558.5212.