June 6th is World Pest Day, a multinational event established to raise awareness among the public, government and media about the work that pest control professionals do on a daily basis to ensure public health and safety. McCall Service is joining the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) in the worldwide celebration, recognizing the vital role pest control professionals have in protecting against threats posed by household pests.
“Public health officials attribute the good quality of life we have today to three things, one of them being better pest control,” said David Cooksey, CFO of McCall Service. “Pests are much more than just a household nuisance, capable of transmitting sometimes fatal diseases and causing significant property damage if left unchecked. We strongly encourage homeowners to work with qualified pest control professionals to prevent and protect against pests.”
In addition to working with a professional, McCall Service recommends the following tips to better prepare the home against invading pests:
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters to help reduce biting mosquito populations.
- Seal any cracks on the outside of the home with a silicone-based caulk, including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well-trimmed and away from the house. Overhanging branches can act as highways into the home.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles.
- Keep mulch at least 15 inches from the foundation.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
- Avoid leaving pet food out in dishes for long periods of time.