Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance won’t prosecute some protesters, Martin Gugino incident sparks cops to quit

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance stated Friday that his office will decline to prosecute marchers arrested for breaking the city’s 8 p.m. curfew or charges of unlawful assembly or disorderly conduct.

To further the unlawful chaos on the state, 57 Buffalo officers resigned from the emergency unit following the suspension of two officers who are seen on video pushing a 75-year-old protester, Martin Gugino. More on that below.

From Vance’s statement on managing prosecutions: “The prosecution of protesters charged with these low-level offenses undermines critical bonds between law enforcement and the communities we serve. Days after the killing of George Floyd, our nation and our city are at a crossroads in our continuing endeavor to confront racism and systemic injustice wherever it exists.”

“We commend the thousands of our fellow New Yorkers who have peacefully assembled to demand these achievable aims, and our door is open to any New Yorker who wishes to be heard,” he added.

The DA office’s policy was to charge the protesters with low-level offenses, such as disorderly conduct and unlawful assembly, an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, meaning that if they weren’t arrested again within six months, their case would be dismissed.

Tim Pool covered this in more detail on his YouTube channel, check out the footage below.

Robert McCabe, left, and Aaron Torgalski

“Buffalo officers quit special team after 2 officers are suspended for shoving a 75-year-old protester” was the headline over at CNN after Officers Robert McCabe and Aaron Torgalski surrendered Saturday morning and pleaded not guilty to the second-degree assault of Gugino.

Gugino, 75, was pushed by police during a Thursday protest, falling and hitting the back of his head on the pavement. The viral video sparked outrage as the officers moved on as the man bled.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo called the incident “wholly unjustified and utterly disgraceful.”

Gugino remains in critical condition, prosecutors said.

Torgalski and McCabe are due back in court Monday, July 20. If convicted, they face up to seven years in prison.

Both officers were released without bail.

Reports are that the officers “were following orders” and/or staying in formation as part of their duty on the active emergency response team.

Officials confirmed all 57 officers resigned from the unit, but not from the force.

“Fifty-seven resigned in disgust because of the treatment of two of their members, who were simply executing orders,” Buffalo Police Benevolent Association president John Evans told WGRZ on Friday.

The police union says the suspended officers were just following orders.

Police initially claimed the man tripped.

More details below in the video coverage.

Despite reports of peaceful protests over the weekend, NYPD arrested 270 on Friday with well over 2,000 arrests in the past week, according to Fox 5, creating a “logjam” in the legal system.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *