Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has signed off on plans for Miami-Dade and Broward counties to reopen restaurants and other businesses that were previously deemed non-essential.
During a press conference in Doral yesterday, DeSantis said that “Miami-Dade and Broward have both submitted plans that I’ve approved…Today we take another important step for a very important part of the state of Florida.”
DeSantis authorized a 50% capacity on Miami-Dade County restaurants as the rest of Florida are working beyond the previous 25% cap.
Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez asked the governor to allow the 50% threshold as he plans to lift COVID-19 closure orders on most businesses Monday and allow restaurants to once again welcome customers into dining rooms.
“What they’re proposing will be authorized starting Monday,” DeSantis said.
Broward Mayor Dale Holness clarified the governor told local authorities that the 50% cap will be approved.
“He says we can do it, and he’ll announce that formally tomorrow,” Holness said.
“This is a virus that, if you’re in good shape, you’re probably going to be okay. Why would we want to dissuade people from going to be in shape,” DeSantis said. “I think it’s really important that people have access to gyms and different exercise.”
Dr. Richard Sutton, a Yale professor who specializes in infectious diseases, said DeSantis was correct in stating people who are otherwise healthy are unlikely to face serious health consequences from coronavirus. For “young, healthy people … the chances you’ll end up on a ventilator are low. But they’re not zero,” he said. “There are some notable exceptions.”
Businesses must eliminate the use of water fountains, and clean bathrooms and elevators every two to three hours. Visitors and employees in office buildings are required to wear masks “while in the building,” the plan for Miami-Dade stated.